Looking for a base tune M50 turbo Silver 413

Get detailed info on tuning your OBD1 DME
Triple-R

Looking for a base tune M50 turbo Silver 413

Post by Triple-R »

I am looking for information or recommended tuners for a base tune for my turbo M50tu build. I have your tuning software and emulator looking for a starting point. I do have data logging capabilities as far as wideband sensor throttle position and boost.

Current set up
M50 with S50 crank
135mm forged rods
M54 84mm Pistons
thicker 140 head gasket and ARP studs

Turbo
Bottom mount GT35 with 40 mm extra waste gate
3 inch intercooler pipe Front mount intercooler

Fueling
60lb Bosch injectors (
Hpx mass air in 3" pipe ( http://www.pmas-maf.com/product/hpx/

If anybody can point me in the right direction I appreciate it just looking for a base tune to get it going I understand there will be a lot of adjusting in my future. Thanks
Renovelo
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a base tune M50 turbo Silver 413

Post by Renovelo »

That should be a fun combination!

Where do you live? We have several shops around the country who purchased our DTS Professional Edition. Also, since you already have our software, any reputable BMW tuner should be able to help you out (either locally or remotely). Even if you can’t find someone experienced in BMW tuning, any experienced tuner should be able to help you. It just may take some extra time to get used to Bosch/BMW layout. At a minimum you’re looking for a shop who has a load bearing dyno that can keep the engine steady while tuning each area of the maps.
Triple-R

Post by Triple-R »

Thanks I'm located near old Bridge New Jersey. I'm also curious with your shop car or tunes that you develop how do you moderator knock when tuning a odb1 car. I have the ECM wiring print out but if I'm not mistaken knock should be monitored more in wave/frequency range rather then voltage. I have 0 to 5v inputs with my data logger not sure if that will be sufficient.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

I sent you some info via PM regarding a tuner.

OBD1 is tricky since data logging via the OBD port is practically useless. We tried developing a tool but the protocol was terribly slow. It's not even possible to use a memory emulator since the variables which hold knock activity are stored in RAM on the CPU (and not on the EEPROM). That basically leaves aftermarket data logging as the only option.

If you want to monitor knock directly, there are a few aftermarket solutions geared toward the enthusiast market although we have no experience with any of them. Knock Link and KnockSense come up in a quick Google search. You might try looking to see what the aftermarket ECU crowd uses (Megasquirt, etc.).

Another option would be to monitor the spark advance. This route would be much cheaper but is somewhat involved. If the measured timing is less than the requested timing, you'll know that the DME is pulling some due to knock. Refer to page 11 of Innovate's document regarding how to measure this with their SSI-4 data logger. You could probably set up a similar system on your data logger if it can measure frequency-based inputs.

http://tunertools.com/prodimages/Innova ... manual.pdf

You are correct that knock sensors output an oscillating voltage, not a constant DC voltage that can be measured with a simple data logger. Your sampling rate would need to be tens of thousands of Hz (like an oscilloscope or a sound card).