Corrupt tunes

Report a bug with ByteTuner
jare

Corrupt tunes

Post by jare »

I’m having an issue with what I assume is corrupted tunes or checksums or something while tuning my MS45.1. Some of my saved versions when trying to upload to the dme will show progress to 100 percent and finalize and say completed, but I notice the temp gauge stays pinned at full hot like it does while uploading even after the upload has finished (normally it returns to reading proper temp after) and also the throttle body does not cycle like it normally does after a successful upload. When it does this, the car will crank with no start. The only way to fix is to revert to a known working version, I’ve tried then saving a copy of the known working version and it even sometimes will then exhibit the same behaviour. Let me know if you need copy of files for examples.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Re: Corrupt tunes

Post by Renovelo »

Can you email us a log file that was generated in the background? You can find this file here:

C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Local\Renovelo\ByteTuner\0.4.5

Each file is date stamped. If you want to generate a clean one, delete all of the files in this directory and try flashing your DME again. Otherwise just send us one of the files from the date you noticed this problem.

Also, are you running this on a VM or native Windows installation? Are you using a traditional K+DCAN cable or something else?
jare

Post by jare »

Renovelo wrote: Can you email us a log file that was generated in the background? You can find this file here:

C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Local\Renovelo\ByteTuner\0.4.5

Each file is date stamped. If you want to generate a clean one, delete all of the files in this directory and try flashing your DME again. Otherwise just send us one of the files from the date you noticed this problem.

Also, are you running this on a VM or native Windows installation? Are you using a traditional K+DCAN cable or something else?
Ok will do.
I am using a K+DCAN cable and windows on bootcamp on a macbook pro.
But so far it was working fine for reading and uploading tunes to the DME it just seems that certain copies of the tune are causing issues. I will send the logs.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

I'm willing to bet your problem is because you're using a VM. We had another customer have almost the exact same problem and we traced it back to this after reviewing his logs. It seems as if the VM interface is corrupting some of the communication traffic to the DME. When the tune is finalizing at 100%, the checksums are verified and the DME won't allow things to exit properly. We can verify if this is the same problem after reviewing your logs.

Unfortunately, we can't support VM installations since we develop on Windows with the intentions of our products to be used on native Windows installations. We've tested thoroughly on native Windows and have never come across this problem. It seems to only appear when customers use VMs.

When reviewing our emails with the other customer who had this problem, he did note that ByteTuner v0.4.0 worked perfectly. Although we've already reviewed the source code and no large changes were made to the flashing procedure since then, we can try to see if this works for you too. We'll email you a download link.