Unable to dowload DME after 25%

Need help getting started with ByteTuner?
oryharam

Unable to dowload DME after 25%

Post by oryharam »

I cannot get my download to go over 25% it stops everytime at 25%.

First time trying to get dme off. everything else works. datalogging with Dataq for AFR no problems.

Car is previously flashed tuned by kassel performance.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Re: Unable to dowload DME after 25%

Post by Renovelo »

Can you email us the debug logs which were generated in the background? You can find these by clicking the "Logs" button under the Help menu.
oryharam

Post by oryharam »

2021_11_28.log

Here is the log.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Thanks!  The logs show that the read fails at exactly the same position every time.  The DME responds in the same manner every time basically refusing to proceed.  Is it possible that the previous tuner has applied some type of OBD2 read protection on the DME?
oryharam

Post by oryharam »

not that im aware of. he does use a custom read/write program. I can ask him tomorrow.

Originally tuned by RK tunes when it was NA. then i put a kassel flash over the rk flash. He flashes from the obd port if that makes a difference.

i would think if it starts it should be good to go after that.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

OBD2 read-locks are used by some tuners to protect their IP from being stolen by others. It can be applied by flashing via the OBD2 port. Also, a DME which has been read-locked will have no issues starting the engine. No other function of the DME is affected other than the ability to read the tune via the OBD2 port.
oryharam

Post by oryharam »

There is a read lock on the tune. I will speak with him about it and how i might get around it.
oryharam

Post by oryharam »

could i flash a new map over the top of his and no longer worry about the lock out?
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

Yeah, all tuners who implement read-locks only prevent reading via OBD2; the flashing functionality should be untouched. You should be able to overwrite the existing tune using a stock tune from our forums. You mentioned that the previous tuner has their own flashing software. I assume you could flash your original stock tune back to the DME using their software and then use ByteTuner.
oryharam

Post by oryharam »

yes to all of the above. I can flash back to my stock dme or even the RK tune DME. I am running an eaton super charger.
Renovelo
Site Admin

Post by Renovelo »

As you can see here or here, ByteTuner supports HW1437806 assuming you're tuning an E36 323i (based on your VIN). If your stock tune was this HW variant, you could flash your DME using either ByteTuner or the previous tuner's software. If your original tune was not this HW variant, then you'll need to flash using ByteTuner and the stock tune available from our forum.
oryharam

Post by oryharam »

thanks i will have to look into it.

I have a weird car. its a 323i convertible from 99. most of the time it comes up as an e46 but its is an e36 vert chassis with Msport package.

m52b single vanos 41.2