Noob tuning for basic breathing mods

Get detailed info on tuning your OBD2 DME
100percentjake

Noob tuning for basic breathing mods

Post by 100percentjake »

Evening all, I just got Bytetuner because it wasn't that much more expensive than getting a canned tune to remove the secondary O2 and SAP errors on my ZHP, with the added benefit that I can tinker and hopefully learn from things. My car has "boltons" consisting of a fairly generic intake, ebay catless header, stock mid section, and Vibrant performance muffler. I've noticed fairly steep positive fuel trims that I attribute partly to the E10 fuel run around here and partly to increased volumetric efficiency (correct term?) due to breathing easier through my fairly pedestrian mods. On my NC Miata I was able to fairly effectively compensate for the E10 by applying a multiplier to the entire base fuel map, plus a little extra in the top end to supply more fuel to the freer-flowing system.

But my ZHP has approximately 20x as many tables available as my NC Miata, as well as operating on a torque-demand-based schema instead of... whatever the miata runs.

Where should I start to add a bit more fuel universally through my tune, optimize for the headers, perhaps fiddle with VANOS timing (camshaft timing breaks my brain a little), and maybe sprinkle some timing in (advance until it knocks itself to death, then back off a quarter-turn).

TIA